By Albert Maluleke
The Limpopo MEC for Sports, Arts and Culture, Thandi Moraka is calling on all athletes, artists, technical officials, and coaches (Sports, Arts and Culture Sector) to apply for the Provincial COVID-19 Relief Fund. The Department has set aside a budget allocation of R8,3 million, which is earmarked to assist practitioners in the sector.
The Provincial Relief Fund follows the declaration of the National State of Disaster by President Cyril Ramaphosa in March due to the Corona virus outbreak. The declaration affected almost every sector, including the sports, arts and culture sector.
The regulations of the lockdown prohibit any gathering of more than 50 people, which is a serious blow to the sector because it depends on gatherings for survival, be it festivals, concerts or sporting events. Recently, Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture, Nathi Mthethwa committed R150 million towards a Relief Fund to assist artists, athletes and technical personnel participants in the sector, and have national and international footprints, to soften the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Limpopo Department of Sports, Arts and Culture has set the following criteria in order to qualify for support to the sports, arts, culture and creative industry in the Province.
• Confirmation of the financial impact per sport federation, structure, recreation entity etc.
• Validation of any incurred loss that is being claimed.
• Use of previous events to qualify or loss of income
• Proof of loss of income for individuals such as coaches, referees, federations, sports personalities, artists, athletes, cultural groups, fashion designers, etc. and that their livelihoods solely depend on the earnings from these events.
• Evidence that athletes and artists who were confirmed to participate at events that have now been cancelled due to COVID -19, and whose income is generated solely by participation in the events.
• Coaches, athletes, artists and technical support personnel who work with athletes whose sporting events have been cancelled due to COVID-19, and make their earnings solely from these events and /or support of the athletes.
• Those that qualified at National Level, will not be considered by the Province.
Qualifying applicants, athletes, artists and sports personalities are requested to submit their applications to the following addresses on or before 19 June 2020:
• Departmental e-mail address : firstname.lastname@example.org
• Postal address: Private Bag X 9549, POLOKWANE, 0700
• Physical address (Head Office): 21 BICCARD ST, POLOKWANE, 0699
Physical addresses (District Offices):
• Capricorn District: Provincial Archive Building; Potgieter Street, Polokwane
• Mopani District: Government Office Complex; Giyani
• Sekhukhune District: Government Office Complex, Lebowakgomo
• Vhembe District: Government Office Complex, Thohoyandou
• Waterberg District: Government Office Complex, Modimolle
Applicants are advised to strictly follow the criteria as captured above. The Department reserves the right to determine the quantum of relief based on availability of resources.
For more information and application, applicants can contact:
• (015) 284-4007 or (015) 284-4321
• or visit www.dsac.limpopo.gov.za
• Facebook: Department of Sport, Arts and Culture Limpopo
• Twitter: @DSACLIMPOPO