By Blessing Mabunda
Limpopo province had at least 6 confirmed cases of COVID-19 by Thursday, but unconfirmed reports of more cases have since come to light. It is believed the influx of people from Gauteng and other parts of the country on the even of the national lockdown has contributed to a sharp spike in the number of coronavirus cases in the province.
Giyani View is in possession of the radio interview voice clip of the MEC for Health in Limpopo, Dr. Phophi Ramathuba who can be heard confirming that there’s more cases recorded in the province.
The MEC didn’t state the exact number of the new cases but indicated that it was a significant number. She said the number of cases will be confirmed by the Minister of Health, Dr. Zweli Mkhize in days to come.
MEC Ramathuba lamented that people had defied her plea and warning not to come back from Gauteng in particular which is the country’s epicentre of the pandemic. She had previously called for people to avoid domestic travel in order to prevent the transmission of the virus to the elderly and people with compromised immune systems.
It is believed that those who tested positive came from provinces such Gauteng.
Dr. Ramathuba expressed fears that the province does not have adequate capacity to manage a potential widescale spread of the disease. She said even first class health system of advanced nations such as the United Kingdom, United States of America, Italy are struggling to cope with the devastating effects of the virus.
“There is no cure/ vaccine for this virus, yet children are still left exposed to the virus. It’s business as usual in the province,” she bemoaned.